Sunday, January 27, 2013

West of Peniche, Portugal

Here we are in Portugal.
We are staying at global surf school.  Sadly the Internet got knocked out in a storm and is not fixed, here is hoping for tomorrow.  So I am just going to mesh the past 4 days together.
The first day we did not go surfing, it was a cold over cast day, so the manager ran some wood up tothe house. He asked if we would like a fire so we said sure. Then he was like ok come here I will show you how. I had to hold in a laugh so we watch him build this "fire". Then he left. And I went into the fireroom and got the fire realy going.  What he built was ok but needed some tlc. But it was very nice of him to build one to start. We sat in front of the fire for most of the night. We played monopoly. Tryed to find some place to eat but they were all closed the manager drove us intown to a grocery store so we could get food. Very nice man.
There is at least ten beds, 6 tables, 2living rooms, a fire room, and 2 bathrooms, oh also 2 sun rooms.
He brings us breakfast and lunch every morning. Some mornings the bread is still worm.
The first day of surfing we got up at 8 he showed up around 830 with breakfast, and told us to be At surf shop for 10am.
We headed down to the surf shop for ten. He interduced us to Mario our other surf instructor. Then we got got sized for our wetsuits. They have a map of all the surf spots around Peniche. He explained about the winds and why they pick what beach to try each day. Every morning we look at the map and wind direction and see what beach to try today. So far we have only been to one beach.
You start with an 8foot board. That is foam. I got up the first lesson and I got up before shauna lol. The waves are very big and the hardest part is getting pounded by the waves when waiting to ketch a wave. Lots of wipe outs thankfully it is a sand beach, but I have got sand burn on my foot. The water temperature is just like at home in the summer. I told that to Mario and he said that sucked that the water. Was that cold.
After a little under 2hr we went back home, had some lunch, then back at 2 for our second lesson. Our lessons are so close because the water get too cold after 5. we went to a little cafe restaurant that Mario suggested. Then curled up infront of a fire and used it to dry our hair. .
Day two went very much like the first day it was much sunnyer we ate lunch out side on the picnic table.
The stove is gas powered so that was fun to learn.
So that brings us up to today, day 3 of surfing.
What an odd day. This morning it was raining and very strong off shore wind. The manager was our instructor this morning he video taped us and we were able to watch our selfs. I did not get up much and I started to get very frustrated and had to leave the water and take a break to calm down. I did get a good wave after that. It was very cold this morning and my ankle hurt from the cold.
We went back to the house and a had a big bowl of spaghetti a big home made bun and a banana for lunch plus tea. Wichita I have started to drink just because it is hot.
I was draging my but to the second class. It was still raining and cold. We meat Mario and he gave us new dry wetsuits and told us that he packed the next size down for boards. When we got to the beach it had stopped raining. The suit I got was thicker, I was so much wormer.
I kicked butt on the smaller board,  I got up lots also took some good falls me and shauna tryed to ride the same wave and we both did a nose dive.
I am enjoying my self alot.
Excited for tomorrow hope I get to keep the smaller board.

No comments:

Post a Comment